Dating salmon postcards
The Abbey buildings still existed in the early half of the 1700s but did disappear over time under eighteenth and nineteenth century housing on the North Mall.
In the eighteenth century, it was one of the first streets, butter merchants encountered on their journey to the market.Tradition is one way to sum up the uniqueness of Shandon Street.Despite being a physical street, one can stroll down (or clamber up !Hence in October 1861, the plans by Cork architect Sir John Benson for a new bridge were accepted.In April 1863, the foundation stone for the new bridge was laid.Next to the well on its west side, there is a second stone walled room, which is partially cut out of the domineering rock face.
The purpose of this room is unknown but the rockface forms the end wall after a number of metres into this space.
He was born on Douglas Street but shortly afterwards moved to 251 Blarney Street where his early childhood was spent playing under the watchful Shandon tower.
At five years old, he and his family moved to Harrington Square in the Dillon’s Cross district.
Legend has it that beyond this end wall is an underground passage leading up into the environs the Gurranabraher.
However, the same legend does not In the years 1730 to 1750, evidence shows that the Franciscan Order moved from the North Mall to the inner city.
Different architectural styles such reflect not only the street’s long history but also Cork’s past.