skip to content »

Dating violence canada

dating violence canada-14

The message must be clear that treating people in abusive ways will not be accepted, and policies must enforce this message to keep students safe.

They can provide for release conditions such as "no contact" until the trial or appeal (Section 515).The person might have to go to jail for a few hours until the bail hearing or maybe longer depending on what the judge decides.If you are afraid for your safety, ask the police to notify you before the person is let out of jail.The order might make the person abusing you leave the family home for a period of time.You can ask police or victims services for information on how to go about this.All parts of Canada have police and Crown prosecutor and spousal abuse policies to ensure that spousal violence is treated as seriously as stranger violence.

The police might arrest the person if they believe the person has broken the law.

If you are afraid of being hurt when the person is released from jail, you may want to find a safe place to stay such as with a friend or at a shelter.

In some provinces and territories you may be able to get a non-criminal emergency protection order, such as a court order that tells the person who was abusive that they must not communicate with you.

The judge may set rules for the release of the person who abused you.

For example, the judge may order that the person is not allowed to contact you.

Even where no offence has been committed yet, where personal injury or damage is feared, courts can also order peace bonds or recognizances, which require an individual to agree to specific conditions to keep the peace (Section 810).